Friday, April 12, 2013

Advice to a young artist

As artists, we are constantly striving to improve our skills. We might take classes, find a mentor, or spend arduous hours practicing. What I've discovered over the years, is that my mental blocks hold me back regardless of how much time and effort I commit to improvement.

We all have the voice of self doubt that whispers in our ear. They are our constant companions. Every interaction with other human beings provides these voices with an opportunity to  derail us from the present here and now. 'What did that person mean by that? Are they angry with me? I wonder if I have broccoli stuck between my teeth?

It's ok to listen to this voice moderately. Sometimes we do get carried away and this voice can moderate us. 'Am I talking too much?' 'Is it time to listen?' ' Maybe I've hurt this persons feelings, I should touch base again and clarify what I mean...'

But often this voice is destructive: 'There's no way you are going to get this job.' 'You aren’t very good, you know.' 'Why am I so dull? and ugly? and stupid?'

These voices need to be excised. Not repressed, mind you. You need to sit down with them and give them a very stern talking to and then find a way to come to terms with them. Another option, one that I find works well, is to journal and write. If you are really struggling with the voices, this is a great way to send them packing. Find a quiet place, sit down and write. Write down whatever pops into your head. Write it down. Doesn’t even have to be legable. Once it's written down, you can burn it up, tear it apart, drown it down or let the winds take it away. It's not going to solve any problems miraculously, but it does clarify and allow your mind to be clear.

These negative voices get in the way of your creativity. It's almost as if your brain is so occupied with the worry, it can't spare anything to relax, open up and allow the creativity to flow out.

Julie Cameron's book Artists Way is a fantastic tool for those of us struggling with those ultra-self destructive voices. Check out her website as well:

http://juliacameronlive.com/basic-tools/creative-clusters/

Journaling in some way is like meditation. It's another way to quiet the mind and bring your focus into the here and now. Mediation is simply bringing the mind to the present moment and each time it wanders off, bring it back again. There are specific breathing techniques for meditation and posture. I don't recommend meditation without initally finding instruction. There are a few websites that can offer guidelines, but I find meditation with a group is more constructive for beginners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment